International Considerations

When the victim is a deceased foreign national, it is advisable to contact the foreign national’s closest embassy or consulate to report the death. The embassy can assist in providing the trauma notification if the NOK lives in another country.  

If a U.S. citizen is killed abroad, contact the State Department at 1-888-407-4747. They will assist in making the trauma notification. Federal agencies usually make notification through their attaché's office. Please consult your standard operating procedures for guidance. 

  • Foreign national victims—Call the specific country's embassy located in the United States.

  • U.S. citizens living abroad—Contact the U.S. Department of State at 1-888-407-4747.

  • Know your standard operating procedures.