2017 Crime Statistics Released
September 26, 2018
Both violent crime and property crime declined in 2017 when compared with 2016 data, according to the FBI’s annual crime statistics, released this week.
Overall violent crime decreased 0.2 percent from 2016 to last year, while property crime decreased 3 percent during that time, according to Crime in the United States, 2017, the FBI’s annual compilation of crime statistics. The information was reported to the FBI’s Uniform Crime Reporting (UCR) Program by more than 16,000 law enforcement agencies across the country.
And as part of a broader effort to modernize crime data reporting, the FBI’s UCR Program publishes this data both in the report and in the Crime Data Explorer (CDE) tool. Released last year, the CDE tool provides a central place to search, sort, and evaluate crime data in a more user-friendly format than individual reports.
- Full Report: Crime in the United States, 2017
- Full Story: 2017 Crime Statistics Released
- Press Release: FBI Releases 2017 Crime Statistics
- FBI, This Week Podcast: 2017 Crime Statistics Released
- Video: FBI Crime Data Explorer